Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree352Likes

Wednesday, May 8th: No Country for Gold Men (and Women)

This is a discussion on Wednesday, May 8th: No Country for Gold Men (and Women) within the The Lounge forums, part of the Bull Bear Talk Forums category; Poly: The change in trading tactics over the weekend report were good. Quick question for you: Since cycles trading is ...

A Proud Member

Wednesday, May 8th: No Country for Gold Men (and Women)

Poly:

The change in trading tactics over the weekend report were good.

Quick question for you:

Since cycles trading is Mean Reverting, have you considered supplementing your cycles with a Trend Following methodology?

I don't know how exactly trend following systems work, but Michael Covel has done quite a bit of work in the Trend Following space.

Your thoughts?
    Ms C likes this.

A lock out day would be nice! Stopped out of half my positions yesterday (small profit)

Try again soon.

A Proud Member

Sobering thoughts on the PM bull market being over. Trade Price, not opinions:

SK Options Trading - Updates - Desperate Gold Bulls Cry*Manipulation

I like this site!

I would not be this pessimistic as the title of the day.
    Something strange is happening in the background...

It looks like institutions were in hurry by dropping their bearish stakes for gold, silver and miners.

CRB signals a bull surge, while dollar signals high probability bear.

Due to these signals, checking oil has high odds to have a switch to general bullish conditions.

Regarding to PMs odds are high to see a bullish breakout: palladium did not lose its important volume-adjusted volatility based price level, gold did not lose its recent bullish trendline, also miners have bullish volume setup.

I wish good luck all of you!
    Poly, Shakey, Rob L and 11 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladenator View Post

It looks like institutions were in hurry by dropping their bearish stakes for gold, silver and miners.

Due to these signals, checking oil has high odds to have a switch to general bullish conditions.

Regarding to PMs odds are high to see a bullish breakout: palladium did not lose its important volume-adjusted volatility based price level, gold did not lose its recent bullish trendline, also miners have bullish volume setup.

Gold is holding up well so far, but I don't like what I see with Silver and the miners, you see accumulation in these too?

A Proud Member

Does anyone have any familarity with this guy's work?

The video arguments on lower gold and silver prices in the near term are quite compeling: Quick 10-12 minute watch:

Nightly Market Videos
    ckpc and spitz like this.

Many trapped longs are looking to get out anywhere near 1500 imo. The trend is down. Going long PM is like shorting the stock market. Miners are leading the way. 08 lows here we come. Never thought I'd expect to see gold retest 1000.

Salad, thank you for your post. Very interesting - "institutions were in hurry by dropping their bearish stakes for gold, silver and miners"
    Dollar is key to gold.

She explained that, “The states are starting to have legislation recognizing gold and silver bullion as legal currency. This is [also] a very strong signal the states are sending to the federal government, that the time to get serious about ending the corruption in the financial system is now here.”

That transparency may be found through a gold-backed currency system, Karen noted, as, “All of the countries of the world are going to allow precious metals to serve as currency, and this will be an underpinning for paper currency, [as] we’ll have both systems at the same time.

-
    Karen Hudes, Former Senior Counsel to the World Bank—now turned whistle-blower.

World Bank Whistle-blower: "Precious Metals To Serve As An Underpinning For Paper Currencies" | Bull Market Thinking
    Dollar is key to gold.

I'm part of the BBT furniture ole SB's Avatar

Or you could just keep your money safe in a bank:

Bank deposits of over
    Shakey and Looskit like this.

A Proud Member

I got a question for the Borad:

Why would any country back its currency with Gold? Aren't there massive disadvantages in the long run for either 1 or a couple of countries to do so? IT just does not make sense to me to go back to say China and Russia will back their currencies with Gold, while the rest of the world is on a floating exchange.

Tex
    I'm not a BOT...I'm not a BOT.... Tex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Why would any country back its currency with Gold? Aren't there massive disadvantages in the long run for either 1 or a couple of countries to do so? IT just does not make sense to me to go back to say China and Russia will back their currencies with Gold, while the rest of the world is on a floating exchange.
    No country will fully back their currency with gold.
    Shakey, SwedeTeam, spitz and 1 others like this.
    Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

A Proud Member

Cedric and other Harmonic Followers:

How does this look for a call to Dow 20,000 later this year?

Dow 20,000 is a Possibility in 2013 | Dragonfly Capital

RE: Miners
    The gold sector is clearly driving a lot of the buying enthusiasm. The INK Gold Stock Indicator – which tracks insider buying on all Canadian-listed gold stocks and is heavily influenced by junior miners – has now surpassed its March high and is over 1,000 per cent, according to Mr. Dixon. That’s more than 10 stocks with key insider buying for everyone with selling.

Junior mining stocks see record insider buying - The Globe and Mail
    Dollar is key to gold.

I'm part of the BBT furniture Shakey's Avatar

Most importantly, it means you can't keep massively increasing your deficit spending. And "commodity" money would seem to have many serious drawbacks in our world (how to increase the supply along with the population and activity growth; which commodity do you want to grossly distort the price of; etc.). I've mentioned it somewhere on here before, but Zarlenga's book is very interesting - he's clearly an angry crank, but it doesn't mean he's not on to something.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.” ― Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

A Proud Member

One thing that is bugging me is how retail guys quickly bot gold when prices fell below $1400.

Barry Ritolz now talks about how there is hardly any euphoria around Dow 15,000.

Exuberance? Euphoria? Hardly . . . | The Big Picture

Something about these 2 markets just doesn't fell right....i.e. Perhaps Gold has a lot lower to go while the Dow a lot higher.
    SwedeTeam and hamvestor like this.

On a shorter time frame, it's kind of do-or-die right now for gold. The dashed redline was support much over the last month. Gold really needs to get back over it:

Or on a 30 min:

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.” ― Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

86d
    William Wallace Honorary Club 86d's Avatar

Shakey and spitz like this.
    A Man equipped with a strong will, will always undergo a certain risk, being forced to exceed to his own will.......S.A. Andree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gPUsQHMw0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pujenWy-rM

Gracegift likes this.

Regarding the comparison to the mid-70's drop:

Buy Gold Stocks
    Catfish likes this.

Yo
    I'm part of the BBT furniture Yo's Avatar

A big economy with nukes could partially back their currency with gold - without the US Iraqing them. And there is no reason that such a currency couldn't float - - and be rewarded by the market for stepping back from pure fiat. But this could happen for China only after they become a lot less dependent on US consumers - as we wouldn't be able to afford so much in a non USD world. It is interesting to watch witch countries accumulate gold/silver.

Tex

Gold being stuffed at the 10dma... further confirming the move to the DCL

I'm part of the BBT furniture Cedric's Avatar

Agree for Oil I see it much much higher.
    Still longs Oil and will add if the triangle breaks to the upside
    Marypat likes this.

Tex

I was getting worried about being long 10yr, and short USDX at the same time... glad that correlations arent what they used to be!

Get stopped Spx short

Possible, if AB=CD holds
    Nick likes this.
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."-- (Louis) Hector Berlioz

Hi Nick,

I see a butterfly on the Dow big picture, it maches with the monthly trendline restistance at 127.2 , target is about 16290. Timing is April 2014 (it matches with Gary dollar 3 year low).
    Do not forget that a butterfly could extend to 161.8 (target 18990)

Dow Monthly 8 Mai - CBY's library

Before reaching such target the weekly chart need an ICL to reset overbought conditions in this runaway move (If the market go there directly without a breath, be careful...)
    Nick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    I was getting worried about being long 10yr, and short USDX at the same time... glad that correlations arent what they used to be!
    Tnx is backtesting its intermediate trendline, let s see if it can go above it...
    If it fails below Nov low, the intermediate cycle will fail and the yearly cycle will be in decline.

Tnx 8 Mai - CBY's library

brb, sport

Tex

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Tnx is backtesting its intermediate trendline, let s see if it can go above it...
    If it fails below Nov low, the intermediate cycle will fail and the yearly cycle will be in decline.

Tnx 8 Mai - CBY's library

brb, sport
    The IC will fail, just not yet.

Tex

Snp made it to the first stop, 1623... there should be stiff resistance here, however a move through here will clear the way to 1631.
    Shakey, Persephone and spitz like this.

Gold ready to explode hgher... not sure what it means for stocks
    Looskit, FurryRaptor and Dialogue like this.

Marypat and Persephone like this.

86d

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_K View Post
    She explained that, “The states are starting to have legislation recognizing gold and silver bullion as legal currency. This is [also] a very strong signal the states are sending to the federal government, that the time to get serious about ending the corruption in the financial system is now here.”

That transparency may be found through a gold-backed currency system, Karen noted, as, “All of the countries of the world are going to allow precious metals to serve as currency, and this will be an underpinning for paper currency, [as] we’ll have both systems at the same time.

-
    Karen Hudes, Former Senior Counsel to the World Bank—now turned whistle-blower.

World Bank Whistle-blower: "Precious Metals To Serve As An Underpinning For Paper Currencies" | Bull Market Thinking
    And this will gain about as much traction as the states that wanted to secede after the chicken in charge renewed his contract until TPTB are good and ready to let it happen.
    A Man equipped with a strong will, will always undergo a certain risk, being forced to exceed to his own will.......S.A. Andree

86d

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
    On a shorter time frame, it's kind of do-or-die right now for gold. The dashed redline was support much over the last month. Gold really needs to get back over it:

Or on a 30 min:

Pretty cool forks Shakey.
    Shakey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 86d View Post
    Pretty cool forks Shakey.
    And that's a pic with more than 80% of my drawings removed. Sometimes I think I just draw a million lines, channels and forks so that one of them must look like it's working.
    spitz likes this.

Sold my Crude position in UCO, +12.5%. Still in the red on my NUGT, patience for now!
    Poly, Looskit and spitz like this.
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."-- (Louis) Hector Berlioz

86d

Snp made it to the first stop, 1623... there should be stiff resistance here, however a move through here will clear the way to 1631.
    Tex, if I may, what are you seeing as the signifigance of 1631? Thanks.

William Wallace Honorary Club SF Giants Fan's Avatar

WG portfolio is now short 4 /es contracts and short 2 /tf contracts.
    SwedeTeam, spitz and froll61 like this.

I'd like to hear that as well. BC, I notice that would be about the midchannel mark (dashed redline - which doesn't appear to have been doing anything) directly above on my charts:

Last edited by Shakey; 05-08-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    spitz likes this.

86d

And that's a pic with more than 80% of my drawings removed. Sometimes I think I just draw a million lines, channels and forks so that one of them must look like it's working.
    Lol, right on. Some of mine here remind me of when I was a little kid, like in kindergarten, with fingerpainting. What a mess. But you know, I see the stuff Gann 360 puts out and it`s pretty fascinating. It seems the continual battle with playing the charts is how to keep it all organized so a person can recognize something significant when you do in fact hit a winner. That Coghlan course with the forks was a cool thing, though I haven`t had much time to play it yet. Are you getting more comfortable with using them?

. Are you getting more comfortable with using them?

Maybe too comfortable. I'm seeing them everywhere. As I said, the idea that I could move parallel lines to wherever I wanted rather than fib ratios (which I still like) or quartiles (as obvious as it sounds) was eye-opening for me. It had honestly just never occurred to me.
    spitz likes this.

Yo

There was a little intrada 1min h+s on QQQs yesterday, covered short calls on Qs when it took out right shoulder this AM. Shorted JAZZ, may have another 4% down in to today.
    spitz likes this.

Tex

Nothing facncy, just resistance levels that should come into play. 1631 followed by 1655 if we get there.
    Shakey and Dialogue like this.

These are good points, they are the "fork in the Cycle". A break above that mark this late in the cycle is bullish for the IC. Silver is telling me that it will be a breakdown for gold.

Nothing facncy, just resistance levels that should come into play. 1631 followed by 1655 if we get there.
    1655 would be a "reasonable" place for this price trend to hit the higher red/pink solid lines on my chart as well. Interesting.

86d

So is this using the support/resistance levels based on yesterdays OCHL?

And when you reference SNP are you using SPX or SPY?

Thanks Tex.

Yo

Quote Originally Posted by Yo View Post
    There was a little intrada 1min h+s on QQQs yesterday, covered short calls on Qs when it took out right shoulder this AM. Shorted JAZZ, may have another 4% down in to today.
    Stop on Jazz moved down to 54

S&P is up almost 94 points from it's last DCL. It's up 550 points in just 20 months. These are insane numbers and they reflect the wild roll-coaster ride of this secular bear market (2000-2013) where each move swung very far from the mean.
    Nick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SF Giants Fan View Post
    WG portfolio is now short 4 /es contracts and short 2 /tf contracts.
    what is tf please?

Tex

So is this using the support/resistance levels based on yesterdays OCHL?

And when you reference SNP are you using SPX or SPY?

Thanks Tex.
    SnP is /ES, currently Im tracking June so ESM3 (depending on your service provider, the symbol may differ).

I dont calculate them daily... which is probably why I should.
    86d likes this.

Yo

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    S&P is up almost 94 points from it's last DCL. It's up 550 points in just 20 months. These are insane numbers and they reflect the wild roll-coaster ride of this secular bear market (2000-2013) where each move swung very far from the mean.
    I guess that markets - like people - behave erratically when jacked-up on stimulants.
    Poly and Looskit like this.

KHC

These are good points, they are the "fork in the Cycle". A break above that mark this late in the cycle is bullish for the IC. Silver is telling me that it will be a breakdown for gold.
    Arrh....Miners are telling me that Gold will break UP...

Okay. I simply felt bored watching this market and just wanted to say something...

Tex

Short gold. Its cant, and wont close above the 10dma.
    spitz likes this.

KHC

GDX rises more than GDXJ today... why did I buy GDXJ yesterday instead of GDX?

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
    what is tf please?
    /tf are the Russell 2000 futures

jin

Russell.
    what is tf please?

Yo

Short gold. Its cant, and wont close above the 10dma.
    I'm watching last Friday's high. If gold can take out that level by this Friday AM, it would continue a basing pattern on a 30 minute chart.

Yo

Stop on Jazz moved down to 54
    One could add to JAZZ short it it breaks 53.29 in next minutes. (Warning: Scrotum punches often delivered during lunch.)

I guess that markets - like people - behave erratically when jacked-up on stimulants.
    Yes they do, and no telling how crazy they could get still.

Quote Originally Posted by KHC View Post
    Arrh....Miners are telling me that Gold will break UP...

Okay. I simply felt bored watching this market and just wanted to say something...
    Miners look strong today, but have had a poor Cycle. GDX still below $30 is showing us that very little interest exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Marypat View Post
    /tf are the Russell 2000 futures
    thanks Mary

Quote Originally Posted by jin View Post
    Russell.

thanks jin.

Russell is underperforming to day, just waiting for Goldman to say "sell and we should be good for a nice run down
    Cedric, jin, GSP and 2 others like this.

FED: Dallas Fed's Fisher is on tv saying there is no QE infinity and he would
    prefer to taper in MBS.
    SwedeTeam likes this.

I'm one of the Gang EnglishBulldog's Avatar

Yes, and throw in the 1995-2000 bubble. Which gives us a really ridiculous, and I think scandalous, chart for the broad stock market for the last 18+ years. How exactly is the public supposed to thrive in this environment, indeed to avoid losing their shirts? And yet companies go "public" through the stock markets to raise money from ordinary people. It's a gigantic scandal.
    Poly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishBulldog View Post
    It's a gigantic scam
    fixed.
    Poly, Bug, spitz and 1 others like this.

Yes, and throw in the 1995-2000 bubble. Which gives us a really ridiculous, and I think scandalous, chart for the broad stock market for the last 18+ years. How exactly is the public supposed to thrive in this environment, indeed to avoid losing their shirts? And yet companies go "public" through the stock markets to raise money from ordinary people. It's a gigantic scandal.
    This is the most hated rally of them all, partly because even the dumb public have woken up to the scandal (that's hard to do) and partly because on the whole they are broke this time around. I think that is foundation for a big "secaular" bear market low within the next few years. Once the markets turn (long term) the BOT's will get into a bidding war all the way down, they will unwind this massive move lower. In the end it won't matter to them, the Bots will make money going up or down, as long as they control the move or trend.

FED: Dallas Fed's Fisher is on tv saying there is no QE infinity and he would
    prefer to taper in MBS.
    It doesn't matter what Fisher prefers. He has no vote. (Alternate)

FRB: Reserve Bank Presidents -- Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by SF Giants Fan View Post
    It doesn't matter what Fisher prefers. He has no vote. (Alternate)

FRB: Reserve Bank Presidents -- Dallas
    Yep, he's just the token permahawk pretending like the Fed has a choice. In fact, Bullard is as close to a hawk as you get with a vote. And he's more like a beefy, hungry dove at best.

ETA: Forgot about George - clear hawk there. So that's 1.
    Last edited by Shakey; 05-08-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    SF Giants Fan and Nick like this.

86d

PHAT GLD # on SOS.

jin

We are waiting for Mr. M to wake up and give us some clue.:-)
    thanks jin.

Russell is underperforming to day, just waiting for Goldman to say "sell and we should be good for a nice run down
    Shakey, Persephone and R41 like this.

jay

Survival of the fittest. That's the way it should be.

Yo

This is the most hated rally of them all, partly because even the dumb public have woken up to the scandal (that's hard to do) and partly because on the whole they are broke this time around. I think that is foundation for a big "secaular" bear market low within the next few years. Once the markets turn (long term) the BOT's will get into a bidding war all the way down, they will unwind this massive move lower. In the end it won't matter to them, the Bots will make money going up or down, as long as they control the move or trend.
    While I think that people have a sense something is wrong and out of balance, I disagree that the public has woken up to what continues to be done to them by the banks and their FED. Most accept the "paid back with interest" bs and are completely unaware of the ongoing wealth transfer that the FED is conducting. Most also bought into the "gee wiz, there was an MIT math genius in the basement at Goldman who fucked up ...no one else understood that these complex instruments and their derivatives." etc.
    pimaCanyon, 86d and ckpc like this.

86d

It`s not about the public thriving, it`s a means of harvesting the wealth off the middle class. Stock market, housing, banks, anyway they can. That`s why the PMs are so frowned upon by the Pros; if you have PMs in your possession, they have lost access to your wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Survival of the most-well connected and protected. That's the way it shouldn't be.
    fixed again.
    jay, spitz and EnglishBulldog like this.

jay

fixed again.
    No. Lions hunt down and eat baby elephants and gazelles because they are stronger, meaner and tougher. There's no good or evil right or wrong. We are all alone and there is no god to judge us.

KHC

Miners look strong today, but have had a poor Cycle. GDX still below $30 is showing us that very little interest exists.
    GDX will go above $30 soon....
    Looskit and Cedric like this.

jay

PHAT GLD # on SOS.
    Those figures haven't meant anything for some time, homeboy.

Where are you MikeS?

Yo

It`s not about the public thriving, it`s a means of harvesting the wealth off the middle class. Stock market, housing, banks, anyway they can. That`s why the PMs are so frowned upon by the Pros; if you have PMs in your possession, they have lost access to your wealth.
    ...and of course there is a motivation track and tax transactions denominated in digital currency.
    86d and Gracegift like this.

86d

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Those figures haven't meant anything for some time, homeboy.
    Watch your mouth, Junior.
    Looskit and froll61 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast